Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas Knitting Panic Time

Welcome, one and all, to Emily's Annual Christmas Knitting Panic Extravaganza! Have we got a show for you!

To your left, you'll see the myriad of works in progress, all with the EXACT SAME DEADLINE. As a recent graduate who is currently unemployed, everyone in my life will be receiving knit items for Christmas this year. While great for the pocketbook, it does up the stress level as this day of joy and celebration rapidly approaches. I realized today that Christmas is a little more than a month away, and that I have yet to complete one single gift. Yep, that's right. Not a SINGLE completed gift. Let me take you on the tour!

On the top left, you will see the Swallowtail Shawl, a Christmas offering for my wonderful mother. Made from some lovely navy mohair with gold stranded throughout, it is my first attempt at lace, and thus very slow going. I just finished the Budding Lace section, making it a solid "Maybe" for completion by Christmas.

Directly below the shawl are socks for my sister. She chose the grey yarn (which translates to uber boring for someone partial to bright colors and self-striping) and the pattern (just complicated enough that I haven't memorized it, even though I'm about to turn the second heel), making these socks ones I have to pay attention to instead of mindlessly knitting whilst watching TV. However, I have at least one whole sock done, making these the most likely contenders for completion in time.

Directly to their left are socks for my father, a rather simple cabled pattern (again) in navy blue. I only have to pay attention one out of every six rows for this one, meaning it's zipping along, and I can (almost) guarantee that he'll get at least ONE by Christmas.

On your far right, you'll see something that may look completed. It is, indeed, as I finished the stocking for The Boyfriend on Monday. However, I cannot rejoice in it's completion, for the casting off of his was immediately following by the casting on of mine, and the casting off of mine will be followed by the casting on for Mac's. It wouldn't be Christmas if every member of our family didn't have a stocking, and I can't leave our newest member out. Alas, my future continues to be filled with colorwork and Caron's Simply Soft, and it seemingly has no end.

Those plastic bags you see? Ahh yes, those contain 28 of the tiny sweater ornaments I am working on, for everyone and their mother. 28!!! Only 10 more to go! I've started to prioritize my list of recipients, and ranking them, seeing who I can leave out if it becomes absolutely necessary. Really brings out the best in me.

Finally, when looking at the top picture, you may ask yourself, But Emily, what about that plain ball of white tweed yarn? In response, I politely plug my ears and begin singing, "La la la, I can't hear you!" That is meant to be a Knotty But Nice Hat, requested by my sister, and the reason I'm so maturely ignoring your question is because I haven't even started this one. I picked out the yarn, that's progress, right? RIGHT???

Anyway, as you might be able to tell, the stress of Christmas knitting may or may not be getting to me. And before you say anything, believe me. I know how ridiculous it is to stress out about self-imposed deadlines. I do. And yet I do it every year. How are all of you doing with your Christmas knitting deadlines? Feel free to gloat, if you are doing better than I, or commiserate if you're on the Panic Express right along with me.

Happy knitting, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. At least you know WHAT you are knitting for everyone. So far, I have a very messy list that keeps getting crossed out and updated and crossed out again. I knit a few random sets of dishcloths, but that's about it so far.

    ReplyDelete